This is a great day out visiting the three pubs in the middle of the Grawin Opal Fields - The Sheepyard Inn, Grawin Club in the Scrub and the Glengarry Hilton are all worth a visit for a cold drink or a meal. These three pubs were all built around the time the Opal Rush was on, as they had to try and accomodate all the miners that were mining out there during the rush. All the pubs are still working pubs and you'll always find a few locals out there ready for a chat.
These areas are still being mined so don't venture too far off the beaten track. We recommend using a 4x4, as the road is unsealed and rough. Many guests have come back from their day trip out to the 'Three pubs in the Scrub' saying it was an experience they will NEVER FORGET! "It's like a different world out there"
For some history on the pubs, check out our page A Bit of History.
Only 45min north of Lightning Ridge, just over the border, is the small but quaint town of Hebel. Hebel has two main attractions. One being The Hebel Hotel and the other being the Hebel General Store.
The Hebel Hotel was originally a Cobb & Co. stopover, which opened in 1894. This great old pub has a colourful past and is a 'must see'. Perch on a stool in the bar for a coldie and soak up the atmosphere. Say hello to Chris, the liscensee.
Across the road is the Hebel General Store, which is as old as the pub. It incorporates two buildings, one the original store and the now disused dance hall. Check out how uneven the floor is in the shop! Barb and Ralph operate the Hebel Store 7 days a week. They have great coffee and home made meals ranging from pies to sweets and everything in between. Their Woolpack Licensed Restaurant has great steaks and great service!
Visit the near ghost town of Angledool! Only 50kms from the Opal Caravan Park via the Castlereagh Highway, or turn right outside the park and go via the dirt road (Dry weather road only). Angledool in the late 1800's was a privately owned town. The Police Station operated from 1882 - 1961 before it moved to Lightning Ridge.
There were 62 Chinese living in the area that were responsible for rind barking trees, weir building and supplying the town with fresh fruit and vegetables. In its hey day there was a Post Office, 2 Stores, a Primary School, 2 Churches, 2 Hotels, an Aboriginal Reserve and a Racecourse. Swimming lessons were held in the Narren River!
The Town Hall Picture Theatre was built in 1903 and is one of the few remaining buildings. You can also incorporate a visit to Angledool with having lunch at Hebel!